• Distance 245 Kms from Normandy to Lovedean.
• (French have not yet agreed to the project.) Will Brexit have an impact?
• Cost #1.24 Billion, Aquind confident they will get it.
• Ukranian Alexander Temerko has direct links to AQUIND and allegedly as well as Russian State security. He is a major Tory Party donor.
• Aquind gone off-shore? To Luxemburg? Originally a promise of repaying tax into communities.
• 1st spade in the ground mid 2021. Completion in 2023.
The Story so far
• All started in 2014 and in Jan 2018 with public consultation.
• July 18 Secretary of State declared Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP) ie his decision.
• Statutory consultation followed in preparation for Development Consent Order (DCO) submission in November (all part of the application process).
• DCO accepted Dec 19
• Interested parties submitted registration by 19 Feb 20
• Spring 2020 to Autumn 2020 Examination of DCO
• Early 2021 Secretary of State to make final decision on the DCO application
• 2021 if approved, work begins
What are the implications of BREXIT?
The Cable Route
• Cable length Eastney to Lovedean approx 12 miles
• Significant opposition from the local councils along the entire route.
• Noise and nuisance/disruption during construction. Imagine traffic chaos.
• 2 pairs of DC cables and 1 fibre optic cable.
• Final route still to be agreed.
• What is Aquind putting back into the community? No evidence of anything so far!
• Selection of route
• Contractors vehicles ie traffic management. Many roads unsuitable for HGV
• Covering 9 football pitches and 7 stories high.
• We have not seen a finished Design.
• Noise during construction and when operational . Cumulative with existing sub-station.
• Landscaping. To start straight away.
• Security 24 hours? Significant target?
• Health hazards.
Day Lane/Broadway Lane Junction (the realignment of the corner to allow access for the heavy construction traffic to the site road)
• It looks like a botched plan (below).